Breaking down the math of going to the opera.
I started going to the opera in 1982 with my parents when I was 9 years old.
By my (probably inaccurate) count, I have attended:
- 315 opera performances and "opera-in-concerts."
- 133 different operas.
- by 57 different composers.
- 5 of those were rock operas.
- 50 performances of 15 different operas by Verdi.
- 44 performances of 10 different operas by Wagner.
- 32 operas by Mozart.
- 30 operas by Puccini.
- 22 operas by Rossini.
- 16 operas by Richard Strauss
as popular and therefore, done less frequently.
- 15 of Verdi's 28 operas
- 10 of Wagner's 13 operas,
- 10 of Strauss' 15 operas
- 7 of Mozart's 22 operas. Some of those were written when he was really young and they are almost never performed.
- Il Barbiere di Siviglia (15)
- Die Zauberflöte (10)
- Le Nozze di Figaro (8)
- Tosca (8)
- Turandot (8)
And by the time you read this, you can add "one" to those numbers because I'm off tonight to see the US premiere of Purcell's The Fairy Queen!